Dalmatians and What You Need to Know
“A high-quality dog food appropriate for the dog’s age (puppy, adult, or senior) will have all the nutrients the Dalmatian needs. To avoid tipping the scales, watch your dog’s calorie consumption and weight level. Treats can be an important aid in training, but giving too many can cause obesity. Give table scraps sparingly, if at all, especially avoiding cooked bones and foods with high-fat content. Learn about which human foods are safe for dogs, and which are not. Check with your vet if you have any concerns about your dog’s weight or diet.” (American Kennel Club
What Human Foods are Bad for Dogs?
Many foods dogs should not eat are a common ingredient. Often found in cookies or candy, macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, weakness, and hyperthermia in dogs.
Another food not to feed your dog is an onion. In large quantities, onions can cause gastrointestinal irritation in dogs.
Raw Meat and Eggs
Both the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have come out against feeding your dog a raw diet including uncooked meat and raw eggs.
Most people know that chocolate is a food, dogs can’t eat, and it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate have a higher percentage of theobromine which is toxic for dogs.
Foods With Xylitol
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in lots of sugar-free products like gum and candy. If your dog eats something with xylitol, it can lead to liver failure.
Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and raisins can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even renal failure in dogs.
Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and even death in dogs. Avoid giving your dog alcohol or any foods that may contain alcohol.
The above list is a few of the most common foods dogs should not eat, which can be dangerous to your dog’s health, but it’s not a full list. If you’re unsure about what not to feed your dog, or if a food is safe for them, ask your veterinarian. If you think your dog may have eaten something dangerous, you should contact your veterinarian immediately. You should also make sure to always have the number of a 24-hour emergency animal hospital in case your veterinarian is not available.” (Petfinder)
Click here for Animal Poison Control information from the ASPCA.